Error: The following error(s) have occurred:
  • You must enter a keyword.

Trending Questions

  • I just submitted my FAFSA, what happens next?

    If you submitted your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online using FAFSA on the Web, then the U.S. Department of Education will process your application within 3-5 days. If you submitted a paper FAFSA, your application will be processed within 7-10 days.

    Once your application is processed, you will receive a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR), which summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review your SAR and make sure all of the information is complete and accurate.

    If there is any missing or incorrect information, then you should complete or correct your FAFSA as soon as possible.

    Your SAR will include your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC determines your eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, and the college uses the EFC to assess your eligibility for other federal and nonfederal student aid.

    Once your FAFSA is processed by Federal Student Aid, your SAR is sent to the colleges that you listed on your FAFSA. Each college will use the information on your SAR to determine your eligibility for federal and nonfederal student aid. The colleges you listed are responsible for creating your award package and disbursing your financial aid. However, listing a college on your FAFSA is generally not sufficient to receive aid at that college, as most colleges do not create award packages for every applicant who lists the college on a FAFSA.

    You should contact the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend to find out if there are additional requirements for receiving financial aid and to learn more about the process of applying for aid at that college.

  • If I have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), can I still complete a FAFSA?

    Yes, and we encourage you to do so. Although DACA students are not eligible for federal financial aid, you may still be eligible for state or college aid, and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can help you access those other types of aid. To begin your FAFSA, you must enter your Social Security Number. While completing the FAFSA, you must answer the "Are you a U.S. citizen?" question by selecting "No, I am not a citizen or eligible noncitizen." After submitting your FAFSA, you should check with your school's financial aid office to see what types of financial aid you may be eligible to receive.

    Note: Some states may have other ways to apply for state aid, and you should check with your financial aid counselor. For example, California has developed an alternative application for California students who are not eligible for federal aid but who may be eligible for the state's Cal Grant and institutional aid programs.

  • I entered the wrong Social Security Number on my FAFSA. How can I correct it?

    You have three options if you submitted a FAFSA with the wrong Social Security Number (SSN).

    In most cases, it is fastest and easiest to create a new FAFSA online using the correct SSN. Note that this option will change the submission date of your FAFSA and may impact whether you meet state or school aid deadlines. If you are uncertain whether submitting a new FAFSA with a different submission date will affect your aid, contact the financial aid office at your school.

    Another option is to correct the SSN on a paper Student Aid Report (SAR) and mail it in to the address listed on the SAR. This can take several weeks to process. If you need a paper SAR, you can call or chat with the Federal Student Aid Information Center to request that a copy be mailed to you. Click ”Contact Us” below for contact information.

    Finally, some schools have the capability to make this change electronically. You may be able to ask a financial aid administrator at your college to help you correct this information.

  • I selected “Make FAFSA Corrections,” but decided not to submit any corrections. Is there a way to remove the correction that I started?

    Yes, you can clear a correction that you started and did not submit. To clear out the correction, start at the home page ( and click the Login button. Log into your FAFSA and click Continue. On the next page, enter your Password and click Next. Once in the correction form, click the Clear All Data button located at the bottom of the page to clear out the correction that you started and wish to remove.

    NOTE: A warning message will appear to verify you ‘want to permanently delete the corrections you made.’ This warning refers only to the correction in progress that you started and now wish to remove. The original application and any previously submitted corrections will remain on file and saved.

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Try searching help.

Making Corrections

Already submitted your FAFSA and need to make a correction? Get help submitting a correction, adding a school, viewing or printing your Student Aid Report (SAR), and more.

Next Steps

You've submitted your FAFSA; what happens next? Understand your expected family contribution (EFC), your Student Aid Report (SAR), and next steps.

Contact Us

More Help Options

Didn't find an answer to your question? Contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

Chat with Us

Chat with Us:

Chat live with a customer service representative in a secure online chat session.


Call Us

Call Us:

Talk with a customer service representative over the phone. Our automated telephone service is always available.

1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 319-337-5665
Hearing impaired? Call the TTY line: 1-800-730-8913

E-mail Us

E-mail Us:

Use the online form to ask your question, send us your comments, and/or alert us to a technical issue you are having. One of our customer service representatives will reply back via e-mail. Or you can e-mail us at We’ll respond within one business day.